Swimming is really a good way to provide relief from stress and fatigue. And it is also a great all-body exercise. More and more people choose to swim in the morning or after work. If you have swimming pool, that will be great. However, you also need to know how to take care of your swimming pool, ensuring its hygiene and safety. Choosing the best pool cover can protect your pool when you don’t use it and this also can ensure its safety without worrying about something or someone dropping into the pool accidentally.
What is a pool cover?
For people who have a pool, a pool cover is a must-have pool accessory. In recent years, there are so many accidents that occur around pools, because pets or kids fall into unguarded and uncovered pools. Swimming pools can be a good place to relieve yourself but also can be a dangerous place for your family members. Therefore, pool covers are the simplest and most straight forward method to ensure the safety both for the pools and your family members and pets.
On the market, pool covers come in various shapes, sizes and types. In the buying guide, we will discuss their various types, how they work and how to choose the best ones on the market.
How Pool Cover Work
Without pool covers, swimming pools are prone to evaporate and lose heat, resulting in energy loss. And the evaporation rate for an outdoor pool depends on several factors, including:
- The outdoor pool’s temperature. If the temperature is high, it is easy to evaporate.
- The outdoor air temperature. If the temperature is high, evaporation rate will be greater.
- The humidity and wind speed. Higher wind speed and lower humidity will also increase the rate of evaporation.
The windbreak is also useless, because it cannot cover your pool and the sun can directly heat the pool, increasing its temperature.
While indoor pools are not greatly affected by the environment, evaporation also can lead to the energy loss. If you have an indoor swimming pool, the huge amount of evaporation requires essential room ventilation (like use a ventilation fan) to control humidity. And air conditioning is also needed to control the indoor temperature. In this case, the energy cost will be added obviously.
No matter you have an indoor pool or an outdoor pool, the best pool cover is able to reduce the evaporation. And covering a swimming pool with a pool cover is the most effective way to reduce the energy loss and cut your energy costs. It is estimated that pool covers can help you save up to 70% energy.
For indoor swimming pools, pool covers are able to reduce the use of your ventilation fans and air conditioners, reducing the energy cost and saving much money for you.
Type Of Pool Covers
Solar Pool Covers
Solar pool covers are considered as the most affordable pool covers you can choose. And they are also known as bubble covers. During the day, the bubble cover can absorb the energy from the sun and can keep your pool warm at night when the temperature is low.
- The only swimming pool cover on the market which can warm the pool water.
- Can reduce evaporation by up to 99%, reducing the water loss and cutting down water cost.
- Both dirt and debris can be kept out of your pool and this can reduce the chance of using chemicals to sanitize the pool water.
- It is not easy to take on or off solar pool covers, because a roller is always not included.
- Cannot hold the weight of an animal, not to mention a small child.
- Compared with thermal pool covers, they are not good when it comes to insulating the pool water.
Automatic Pool Covers
This type of pool covers is very convenient to use. You just need to push a button, they can open and close automatically, which means the taking on and off are pretty easy.
- Very convenient and easy to use, just a push of a button
- Compared with other types, they are more secure
- Even can hold the weight of an adult.
- Much more expensive. The price can range from $2,500 to $8,000.
- The pool water will not be heated, because it cannot restore energy.
Thermal Pool Covers
Most people choose a thermal pool cover for their pools. Mostly, the they are built with insulating foam materials. However, the installation is not easy, so a professional is required to install it.
- Convenient and easy to use and can be easily packed away
- More durable than solar pool covers
- Insulation effect is better than solar covers
- The UV rays can be blocked completely, so the cover cannot be damaged by the sun.
- Harmful algae can be effectively prevented from madly growing.
- Reduce the chance of evaporating and this means 98% water loss can be avoided.
- Much more expensive than solar pool covers
- The pool water cannot be heated very well.
Winter Pool Covers
If you live in an area with clearly on 4 seasons, you probably don’t use your pool during cold winters. In this case, a winter pool cover can keep out extreme temperatures, precipitation and winter winds. And Frost damage can be easily avoided.
- Affordable, price ranges from $150 to $700.
- Very lightweight
- Effective to keep out debris
- Very convenient and easy to install
- Prevent algae from madly growing. Protect your pool and save your money on cleaning and maintaining your pool
- Anchor points are needed to install around the pool.
- Doesn’t retain heat, let alone heating water
- The effect of reducing evaporation is not as good as other types of pool covers.
Hidden Swimming Pool Covers
If you place aesthetics in the first place, you can choose hidden swimming pool covers. The cover and roller are placed in a sunken part at the end of a pool. And a lid is also included to hide the roller and cover.
- When it is installed, the invisible feature makes it very appealing compared to other types of pool covers.
- It allows you to easily roll the cover on water automatically, semi-automatically, or manually with its hand crank
- For existing swimming pools, the installation is not so easy.
- Price can be higher, especially for automatic models.
Solid Vs. Mesh Pool Safety Cover
A solid pool safety cover has a pump that is used to remove the accumulated water from its cover, while a mesh pool cover allows rain water and snow to drop into the pool, because the mesh cannot stop the rain water and snow.
Pros of a Mesh Pool Cover
- It is very lightweight because it doesn’t resist snow and water to seep through.
- Pretty convenient, easy to take on and the removal is also pretty easy
- The cover cannot hold water, so you don’t need to use a pump to remove water from its cover in a rainy day.
- The leaves will leave on the cover and become dry. And they are easy to be blew off by the wind, so sweeping the cover is not required.
Cons of a Mesh Pool Cover
- Cannot prevent dirty water from entering the pool.
- Plenty of small debris may be left at the bottom of your pool, so you need to clean them on a regular basis.
Pros of Solid Pool Cover
- Don’t allow rain, snow melt or other debris to seep through.
- It is able to protect your pool at the most. If the pool is closed on a right way, you will get a clean pool when you open it once more.
Cons of Solid Pool Cover
- Because of its construction, it is much heavier. Therefore, the taking on and off jobs are not an easy job.
- The water on the cover should be drained as soon as possible.
Best Pool Cover Reviews
Top 5 Best Inground Pool Safety Covers
Water Warden Pool Safety Cover for a 20 x 40 Pool, Green Mesh
If you are looking for a pool safety cover for your inground pool, this is the best pool safety cover you can rely on. This cover can protect your pool from the severe winter and it is so easy to install. It is made of lightweight mesh and features w-ply webbing that allows rain to seep through into your pool. Once you set it up, leaves, twigs and other debris cannot go into the pool.
- It is easy to install and take off this cover within several minutes
- When you use the pool and don’t need this cover, you can easily store it.
- Come with all hardware, including hooks, spring, solid brass anchors, as well as an installation tool.
Blue Wave 20-ft x 40-ft Rectangular In Ground Pool Safety Cover
This safety cover is very durable and even can support a whole family. Because of its lightweight design, you can put it on and take it off within several minutes. And you can store it with ease because of light weight.
- Its anchoring system is able to secure its anchors firmly in concrete.
- A multi-seamed stitching is included to prevent wear and tear, so the safety can be guaranteed.
- Its hardware is made of stainless steel, making it more durable and can last for many years.
- Water can pass through this cover, but debris and dirt can be kept out.
GLI Pool Products 16 x 32 Rectangle Safety Pool Cover
If you are looking for an affordable safety pool cover that should be heavy-duty, you can choose this. You can use this all year round, not only in winters. Plus, it offers a 12-year warranty.
- It is very durable thanks to this two-fly mesh materials. Therefore, it can resist rotting, sunlight, mildew and harsh chemical damage.
- Includes all the installation tools, like brass anchors, storage bag, stainless springs and an installation tool.
- Water can pass through its mesh construction, but debris and leaves can be kept out.
- It is pretty easy to clean it and take on or off it.
Loop-Loc 20 x 40 Rectangle Safety Pool Cover
This cover features a new thicker weave which can block the sunlight at the most. Rain and melting snow can easily drain through its weave. Because of its thicker weave, less debris will be in the pool, resulting in less cleaning up. It is able to support the weight of an adult, so it is durable enough and can provide you with exceptional protection.
- Comes with hardware for installation
- Effective to block sunlight thanks to its strong mesh construction
Meyco 20 x 40 ft. Rectangle Safety Pool Cover
This Meyco safety pool cover is durable enough and can support a whole family. And Meyco is a good brand. This cover is pretty light weight, making the taking off and on become much easier. You can do it in several minutes. Once you have it, your pets and kids can be safe when they are playing around or on the pool.
- Its two-ply mesh material is pretty strong and can support the weight of up to 4,000 pounds.
- It features a spring-loaded anchoring system, so the cover can be securely held in place.
- Designed to be resistant to sunlight, mildew and chlorine damage.
- Water can seep through, but debris, as well as leaves cannot seep through.
Top 5 Best Winter Pool Cover Reviews
Blue Wave Bronze 8-Year 18-ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
This best winter pool cover has the same strength as other pool covers which may cost you twice as much. Therefore, more people choose it as their best winter pool cover. Its polyethylene scrim and well-built coating can survive from even the harshest weather in winters. Plus, it comes with a 8-year warranty.
- Resist snow, sun and wind.
- A Heavy-duty cable and winch tightener are included
- It features 4-feet overlap which is compatible with most top rails of above ground swimming pools.
- This cover is effective to prevent algae from growing.
SmartPool SPAGWC24 Superguard 24′ Round Winter Cover
Many users spoke highly of its performance and recommend as the best winter pool cover. It features a heavy-duty construction. Plus, it provides an 8-year warranty.
- It uses durable polyethylene to build this cover.
- In order to prevent from ripping, it offers double-stitched borders and all-purpose stamped aluminum grommets.
- It also comes with a winch and vinyl-coated cable, resulting in easy installation.
- It is also resistant to UV, so sunlight degradation is not a problem.
Pool Mate 351833-4PM Heavy-Duty Winter Cover For Oval Above Ground Swimming Pool
If you are hunting for a heavy-duty cover for your above ground pool, this one is one of your best choices. It is able to protect your pool in winters, because it can resist any bad weather. And this winter pool cover can give you a very clean swimming pool if you add some appropriate winterizing chemicals in your pool before covering the pool. And it is pretty easy to open.
- Use heavy-duty polyethylene material to build this cover.
- Debris and dirt can be effectively kept out.
- Prevent algae from growing.
- 4-foot overlap included, so it is pretty easy to install.
- Comes with a 10-year warranty.
Swimline 18-Foot Round Above Ground Swimming Pool Leaf Net Top Cover
If you only need a pool cover to prevent the leaves from falling into your above ground swimming pool, you can choose this cover. To make it firmly in place, a ratchet and cable is also included.
- This cover is made of heavy-duty, woven material.
- Leaves and debris can be removed easily and quickly.
- Even the smallest leaves can be caught by this cover.
- This cover can work with solar pool covers.
Deluxe 16′ x 25′ Deluxe Oval Above Ground Swimming Pool Winter Cover
If you need an affordable but strong winter pool cover, you can choose this model.
- It has 3 layers, making it more durable.
- It is able to block UV light, so even the damaging rays from the sun cannot damage it.
- Reversible blue and black color.
- A 2-year warranty is included and it also comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
The Bottom Line
When it comes to choosing the best pool cover for your pool, there are many factors you need to take into account. And it is not an easy decision you can make. If you make a correct decision, the pool cover can save you some money. No matter which one you choose, just remember if you want to seal your pool to protect your children and you, a pool cover is a must-have item for a pool owner.