If you don’t want to build a below ground pool, you can choose an above ground pool as a good alternative. They cost you less than building an in-ground pool. Actually, they are actually water reservoirs, so your friends, and your family members can swim and water in them. You can place one in your garden, yard, or on any flat surface on the ground.
Compared with building an in-ground pool, above ground pools are very easy to assembly. However, for a novice, it is not an easy job. First, you need to level the ground where you plan to place the pool on. This should be done before setting its frame and liner into place. This job is the biggest hassle when it comes to setting up an above ground pool.
Best Above Ground Pool
We’ve made this list of top 5 best above ground pools, because they are pretty easy to set up, they are versatile and they are also user-friendly. Price is not the first consideration, but they were chosen due to their price, versatility, performance, ratings, and customer reviews.
Intex Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24-Feet by 12-Feet by 52-Inch
The size of this best above ground pool is good for any yard. And it is 4 1/2-foot in deep, so it is deep enough to satisfy even the tallest family members. It is longer and wider than most other above ground pools. Plus, it is highly rated due to its versatility and ease of setting-up. And it also comes with all the accessories, including a pool cover, filter pump and a ladder. This also means you don’t need to buy these accessories separately, saving much money for you. Its steel frame is very strong and can easily section slip and lock together. For those who are good at DIYing, the setting-up is not a problem. Due to its user-friendly design, it ranks at the top.
iPool Deluxe Above Ground Exercise Swimming Pool with Filter / Pump and Heater Upgrade
If you need to exercise buffs, or just want to water in a high quality above ground pool in hot summers, this is definitely one of the best choices for you. It has a neat design. Once you have it, you can easily take a dip at any time you like. Beside this, it is also an exercise pool for you, because you can make yourself strapped into its harness and then exercise in the water. It is so great, isn’t it? The setting up process is also pretty easy. What’s more, it also comes with a heater or pump combo, so you can even use it in winter. Other accessories, including a floor mat, a ladder and a pool cover are also included. This is one of the most terrific and neatest ideas. If you are interesting swimming and wading at the same time, this one is the best pool for you.
Summer Escapes Quick Set Ring Pool, 12-Feet by 30-Inch
If you are looking for the most cost-effective above ground pool, this one is the best and it is also the best part pool in the hot summer. You can set it up very fast, so it is ready for you to use in time. You can use a pump to inflate its top ring. You don’t need to buy a pump but even the exhaust from your shop-vac can do the pumping job. Once it is inflated with air, the next thing is simple, just filling it with water and then hop in. One thing you need to pay attention is that this one is only designed for 5 people. Due to its ease of use and affordability, you can set it up anywhere you like. Well, make sure the ground is leveled out before setting-up.
Sun N Fun Galaxy View Above Ground Round Pool Package – 30′ X 52″
This best pool has a classic design and it is a round shaped pool with verticals supports, top ledges, as well as bottom rails. It is also the most expensive above ground pool on our list and the setting up process is also a little complicated. You may need to hire someone to assemble it. However, its durability and quality beat any other one on this list. Once it is set up, it is able to serve you and your family in the next many years. This package includes a ladder that can be used as a child-proof swim protector, a wide mouth skimmer and a sand filter. This pool is the best above ground pool on this list thanks to its high quality. However, the labor intensive setting up and high price make it a little tough for those who have a limited budget.
Intex Oval Frame Pool Set, 18-Feet by 10-Feet by 42-Inch
This is the second Intex above ground pool chosen on this list due to their high quality. It is an inflatable top ring hybrid pool with side rails to support its length. Although it seems a little expensive, it comes with all the accessories for a pool, including a ladder, pool cover, drop cloth and a pool filter. The setting up is also very easy. One person is enough. Before that, you’d better make sure the ground is leveled out. This job is labor intensive.
Above Ground Pool Buying Guide
I think everyone dreams of possessing an in-ground pool for swimming. If you don’t have one, you also can buy an above ground pool as long as you have enough available space. And having a swimming pool also means a status symbol in your neighborhood. A pool offers a place for you and your family to share the excitement and fun. And it is also the best escape for cooling off, relaxation and recreation. At least, it will become an ideal outlet for you to spend your private time with your friends and family. And it allows you to have a passion for swimming.
However, it is not so easy to quickly find the right one, because there are several types of above ground pools and they are also related to many different pool accessories. Well, don’t worry about it. Our above ground buying guide can help you know what you really want and help you make a good decision on buying a new one.
This buying guide includes:
- Basic principle and essential systems
- Factors that will influence your buying decision, including your budget, available spaces, types and your preference
- Proper applications, safety precautions, pool equipments, pool accessories and benefits
Basic Principles on choosing an above ground pool
Why buy an above ground swimming pool in the first place? Actually, they have many benefits.
- Convenient – If you don’t hire someone to build a new in-ground pool, which may cost you much money and time. Once you buy one, you can quickly set it up and enjoy it, making it more convenient.
- Economical – Also compared with building a new in-ground pool, such an above ground pool costs you less.
- Versatile – Above ground pools can almost offer every swimming equipment, including lap pools, spas, fun pools, as well as fancy dipping baths. And the cost is only a fraction of buying a new in-ground pool. They are very versatile and deserved to invest in.
- Flexible – They are also flexible and can satisfy your requirements all the time. You can easily move from one place to another. Plus, it also allows you to easily upsize or downsize it, if there are some modifications needed for your swimming necessities.
Considerations in Choosing
Once you decide to purchase a new above ground pool, the following problem is how to choose the best one. Or there are some considerations you need to take into account before making a decision, including:
- Who will use the Pool Frequently?
- What Shape, Size, and Type to Look for
- When to Buy
- Where to Locate
- Where to Buy
Who will use the Pool Frequently
You also need to know who will use the pool: family, kids and friends. And You also need to know how the pool will be used: swimming exercise, parties, relaxation and recreation. How many people a pool will accommodate determines the pool’s size and shape.
What Shape, Size, and Type to Look for
- Shape – Well, the available space around your house may also determine your pool’s size and shape. Generally, above ground pools come in oval, round and rectangle shapes. And round swimming pools offer more swimming space and they tend to be easy to set up. Most of them are more affordable than oval-shaped pools that may need more available ground space. Therefore, they often come in large sizes, which means extra sidewall bracings are required.
- Size – it is estimated that each swimmer requires at least 15 sq.ft. You can use this standard to easily calculate how large your pool is. Of course, first, you need to know how many swimmers or users will use your pool at a time. On the other hand, if your available space is limited, measure its dimensions and you will also know the specific size of your pool you are going to purchase.
- Type – Typically, fixed above ground swimming pools feature a vinyl liner that is held by a solid framework. The framework is made of aluminum, resin or steel. Considering the cost, resin and steel are main 2 types of structural materials. We will discuss them one by one.
- Steal – Steel is the most common material that used to build a pool. If you are looking for the most durable above ground pools, you can consider a steel-structured pool that can last over 20 years. Steel is used for bottom tracks, top rails, uprights, as well as frameworks. With proper coasting, steel pools are not easy to be corroded. They are corrosion resistant. However, the main drawback is that they are very heavy, not portable.
- Resin – Resin is considered as the highest material. Therefore, resin-structured pools are much more expensive and come in many advantages. Dislike metal-structured pools, resin-structured pools don’t corrode and don’t retain heat. Thanks to their least maintenance, they can save you more in the long run. And you don’t need to worry about its durability, because its walls as well as other structural comprise heavy duty plastic and steel.
- Aluminum – if you are looking for the lightest pool, you can choose an aluminum-structured pool. However, they are not so durable and are prone to oxidizing and the surfaces will become thinner and thinner, finally resulting in small holes inside the pool liner. However, they are portable and easy to set up or disassemble.
- Stainless steel – This type of pools is similar to steel-structured pools and they are more corrosive-resistant because of stainless steel. However, when you buy one, you need to check carefully, because some retailers only selling you steel wall sections but lie to you that they are made of stainless steel.
When to Buy
If you just buy one during the hot months, definitely you will pay a higher price. The law of supply and demand determines the price and can tell you the best seasons to purchase an above ground pool. It is highly recommended to buy one after the summer season, because the demand decreases and many retailers plan to clear stocks and you may get a discounted price. Another best time you can choose is spring. On the market, there are many stocks and retailers or manufacturers tend to sell them much cheaper to embrace the newest model they will produce.
Where to Locate
If you have a large available space, the location is not a big issue for you. However, the spot you choose should be at least 5 feet away from your property boundaries and your house. And you also need to do some area preparation which requires zero gradients and slops.
Where to Buy
When deciding where to buy one, you also need to choose a reliable retailer. Therefore, it is highly recommended to buy one at a legitimate pool shop, which means you can easily get access to consultancy, installation, service, chemicals requirements, as well as other support services. And if you are not the first time to buy one, you also can buy one online. There are many customer reviews for you to check and you will easily know its pros and cons, making the purchase become reasonable.
Various Types of Above ground Pools
When it comes to choosing the best above ground pool, there are several types to choose from, including:
On the market, hard-sided above ground pools come in oval shapes or circular shapes. Their frameworks are made of solid steel and their sidewalls are fitted with resin. This type of above ground pools has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Compared with inflatable pools, they are much more durable and sturdier. This is because their framework’s top rim and posts are made of metal.
- Compared with soft-sided above ground pools, they are able to bear more natural wear and tear, making them more durable.
- Comes in larger dimensions. If you want to have a large above ground pool, they are ideal and they can also be customized according to your needs.
- Much more intensive labor is required, because the assembling and installation are not easy to prepare. And the dismantling is also not easier than inflatable pools.
- If you plan to invest in a hard-sided above ground pool, this means more complex structural works as well as the construction.
Soft-sided pools mostly come in rectangular shapes and inflatable soft-side above ground pools come in circular shapes. Most inflatable swimming pools are made of rubber, tarpaulin, PVC plastic and synthetic fiber.
- Because of their inflatable feature, their frames should somehow support the sidewalls.
- They are flexible and easy to install. They allow you to install it on grass, dirt, sand, concrete and gravel surfaces.
- Both the assembling and disassembling are much easier than hard-side pools, taking shorter time. And during cold or cool seasons, they can be stored easily, not taking up much storage space.
- More affordable than hard-sided pools
- Much easier to maintain
- The quality is poorer than hard-sided above ground pools
- They are smaller and flimsier, compared with hard-framed types
- Generally, doesn’t come with essential accessories, like ladder, pump, filter, or other accessories. And you need to buy them separately, if you need them.
- They tend to be vulnerable to leaks and damages, so don’t expect they can endure normal wear and tear. Just be careful to use them.
Portable models are also very popular because they are so easy to install and able to accommodate different capacities of swimmers at a time. Therefore, they often come in an elliptical shape and offer an assortment of sizes.
- They are perfect if longer periods of maintenance schedules are inaccessible.
- They are easy to set up and install
- Very affordable because of simple structures, perfect for those who don’t want to invest in an expensive above ground pool.
- Doesn’t take up much space, perfect for the tightest spaces.
- It is a little difficult to keep them clean and the maintenance is also a little difficult.
- Their pool quality damages the industry’s repute.
- They often use low-end and low-grade equipments and accessories, making them break down easily and not work efficiently. Plus, it is not easy to clean the pool water.
Pool’s Essentials: Features, Equipments, and Accessories
Swimming pool ownership does not end with the completion of the pool construction. As a pool owner, you also need to pay attention to the costs involved after its construction. One of the important tasks involved in pool ownership is the maintenance phase, making sure that it’s optimized for a great swimming experience. This means using all the right swimming pool equipment and accessories that can help in filtration, purification and cleaning of the water. Some popular above-ground pools are equipped with a DIY pool kit complete with all the essentials that can help you set-up and maintain the pool without the need for technical expertise. The most basic DIY kits available in the market today includes a ladder, filter, pump, sliders and cover.
Depending on the design or brand of the swimming pool, additional accessories and equipment may be thrown to the mix, including but not limited to sanitizing materials and maintenance kits. Also, you will find other kits that can include lighting accessories, heaters, fencing and even fun accessories that can make every child and the kid-at-heart smile. As a responsible pool owner, it pays to know the available accessories and equipment that can be used to maintain the investment. Here are the top pool equipment and accessories that you need to know:
Pool Filters– Everyone wants to swim in a clean and refreshing pool. To make it happen, you’ll need the services of the filters. It helps keep the water purified and clean, and ensures that you are provided with a smooth flow of water.
Pool Pumps– It’s a machine used to suction water using a skimmer, which also serves as a cleaner before supplying the pool with fresh water. Some pool pumps are equipped with a strainer basket that can help collect the debris, and some are designed specifically for use in above-ground pools.
Pool Ladders-If you need to access the pool for maintenance and checks, you will need the services of pool ladders. Ladders are made from different materials, from plastic to stainless steel, and your choice of material will depend on the depth of water and placement. But if you will install a pool deck, it will reduce the number of steps to be included in the ladder.
Pool Covers– When the pool is not in use, it can be secured by a pool cover. With a pool cover, the water is protected from dirt and debris. Covers are available in at least three designs- winter, leaf-net and solar.
Pool Slides-If you want to make the pool more entertaining, accessories like slides can make the difference. These are available in different heights, with some slides standing up to 8 feet.
Pool Cleaners and Vacuum– Pool cleaners are your automatic partners when it comes to taking out the oil films and grime that may have settled on the pool flooring. Instead of simply collecting, pool cleaners will scrub the pool for you to take out the dirt.
Pool Heaters– Installing a heater can help you provide your guests with a consistent supply of warm water, thus extending the pool entertainment hours. The best option is a solar pool heater, designed as a cost-effective heating option. It can help you reduce on electrical costs, and features less carbon footprint.
Pool Alarms – Considering the safety of your pool, choosing a pool alarm is a good choice. For a above ground pool, you can choose a buoy floor alarm. If you need one, check out list of best pool alarm.
Chemicals– Chemicals are required to keep the water clean. Some popular chemicals used in pool water maintenance are chlorine, salt and biguanide. Keep in mind that its use is subject to certain specifications and standards, as explained below:
- Chlorine. This helps clean up the water by adding the chemical on a filter or on the dispenser. Keep in mind that it should be added on a weekly basis, depending on the weather. Also, it can irritate your skin, eyes and hair.
- Salt. Adding salt to the water can also help rejuvenate the water, but can be a costly investment.
- Biguanide. This can work especially if the users have allergic reactions to chlorine. Before adding this chemical, make sure that this is compatible with other chemicals used in the pool.
Pool Maintenance- How Much Should You Prepare?
Owning a pool requires a considerable investment, and it’s important to know the costs involved. The costs that you will need to cover can be divided into two categories- the actual swimming pool kit and set-up cost.
Most of the kits available in the market come complete with all the necessary steps to set-up the swimming pool. It allows you to assemble and disassemble the pool. The expenses will only grow as soon as you add more accessories to the pool. Although these accessories come at a price, keep in mind that these can help maintain the cleanliness of the pool, thus it’s an investment that pays in the long run.
When planning a pool, make it a point to ask for inclusions. Asking for inclusions can help you better plan out for a pool and the actual cost that it entails.
If you are planning to get a new swimming pool, you need to know the accessories and equipment involved that can affect the price. You can use this guide to learn more about the accessories and equipment, and hopefully avoid the unnecessary expenses. Although a pool investment can come at a price, keep in mind that it delivers a number of benefits. Having a pool allows you to relax at your own time, and can serve as your entertaining exercise spot. And of all the options available, you can get the best benefits from the above-ground pool. It’s considered as the most popular pool type, and highly affordable.
Each above-ground pool is different, which means that you can select what’s best for you. Ultimately, the choice will depend on your needs and personal preferences and even lifestyle. At the end of the day, it’s you who can truly say what kind of pool should be constructed. If you have questions, you can always ask the experts about the type of pool and its specifications.
So plan your swimming pool and have fun! You can use this pool guidelines, and you’ll be surprised at how easy the installation is. You can even find a DIY pool kit which can allow you to plan out and set-up the pool in a convenient manner, and enjoy it with friends and family members!